Saturday, September 25, 2010

God is Good!

My parents have always been a strong support system for me. We talk, we laugh and we cry together. As I dropped off Sam yesterday my parents asked me to read the devotion from Portals of Prayer for Wednesday, the day we received Sam's new diagnosis.

Read Matthew 26:36-46
Psalm 56

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways. Isaiah 55:9

Wednesday, September 22

Thy Will Be Done

Events occur in our lives that we do not fully understand and often question. The loss of a loved one, serious illness, financial problems, marital difficulties--the list can be easily expanded. What can a Christian do when tears flow, hearts are broken, and daily life becomes difficult to endure? Why does God allow problems to arise for those who believe in Him?

Jesus in the Gardens of Gethsemane teaches us how to trust in God even in the midst of our problems. Our Savior knew He would have to suffer and die for the sins of the world (Luke 19:10). Three times He asked His Father if there were some other way by which He could fulfill His mission. Each time He asked His Father that not His will be done, but his Father's will!

It is not God's will that we suffer, but He has assured us that He will use even our suffering according to His will (Romans 8:28). When we pray, "Thy will be done," we ask that God's will be done in our lives. It is also a prayer of strength so that we may grow in grace and accept the will of God whether or not we understand it. Now we may not fully understand God's will for our life or the life of a loved one, but someday we will fully understand (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Lord of my life, let your will be done in my life. Amen

He's good....isn't he???? As I read this devotion, the calm I felt in the Doctor's office surrounded me again. I don't know where this journey is headed...I have never known but I know I'm not alone and in that I take comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Aaaagghh, took a deep breath and sighed when I read this, God is good, Your will be done. I will read those scriptures thanks!

    ReplyDelete